Author of ASPECTS OF WAGNER
g***@gmail.com
2019-07-27 17:09:46 UTC
http://dailynous.com/2019/07/26/bryan-magee-1930-2019/

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1093&bih=526&ei=KoU8XeDuEfHB7gKCrovAAw&q=ASPECTS+OF+WAGNER+BOOK&oq=ASPECTS+OF+WAGNER+BOOK&gs_l=img.3...2050.6612..6910...1.0..0.424.2762.17j5j1j0j1......0....1..gws-wiz-img.....0..35i39j0j0i5i30j0i8i30j0i24.jvrEYOksR3c&ved=0ahUKEwjgq8K3y9XjAhXxoFsKHQLXAjgQ4dUDCAU&uact=5#imgrc=o6yUb9QOB9TlGM:
Bert Coules
2019-07-28 14:17:06 UTC
This is sad news; it's a while since I read it but I remember his Wagner
book as being excellent and very well written. Unsurprisingly so: I heard
him speak several times and he was a vivid communicator. Aspects of Wagner
is still available:

https://tinyurl.com/y3hl59yy

Full link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aspects-Wagner-Revised-Enlarged-Paperbacks/dp/0192840126/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3D4R5RF83ONVH&keywords=aspects+of+wagner&qid=1564323326&s=gateway&sprefix=Aspecyts+of+Wagner%2Caps%2C138&sr=8-1
REP
2019-07-28 23:04:19 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
http://dailynous.com/2019/07/26/bryan-magee-1930-2019/
I haven't read any of Magee's books, but I know they were discussed here from time to time. He seemed like an important contributor to Wagner discourse, so I am sad to hear of his passing.

REP
g***@gmail.com
2019-07-30 03:40:02 UTC
https://thefreudmuseum.podbean.com/e/wagner-freud-and-the-end-of-myth-bryan-magee-in-conversation-with-stephen-gee-precursors-of-the-unconscious-wagner-and-the-philosophers/
g***@gmail.com
2019-07-30 07:53:08 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
http://dailynous.com/2019/07/26/bryan-magee-1930-2019/
- To take, for example, my own death: what I consider most likely to be true is that death will be the complete and utter end of my existence, with no successor existence of any kind that can be related to me as I now am. And if that is not the case, the next most likely scenario, it seems to me, is something along the lines indicated by Schopenhauer. But neither of these is what I most want. What I want to be true is that I have an individual, innermost self, a soul, which is the real me and which survives my death. That too could be true. But alas, I do not believe it.

Bryan Magee
RANDY WOLFGANG
2019-07-30 12:53:28 UTC
Sad news - he wrote two of the greatest books on Wagner ever written - Aspects of Wagner and The Tristan Chord. Will be missed - a voice of reason
Dogbertd
2019-08-01 14:51:05 UTC
Post by RANDY WOLFGANG
Post by g***@gmail.com
http://dailynous.com/2019/07/26/bryan-magee-1930-2019/
Sad news - he wrote two of the greatest books on Wagner ever written -
Aspects of Wagner and The Tristan Chord. Will be missed - a voice of
reason
Magee was one of the few writers to take Wagner seriously as a thinker
(I suppose Roger Scruton is another although I've yet to read any of
his books on Wagner). Magee's book on Schopenhauer is excellent and has
a large chapter on Schopenhauer and Wagner which I've always found to
be hugely convincing, providing a philosophical rationale for Tristan,
Meistersinger and Parsifal.
g***@gmail.com
2019-08-01 17:39:59 UTC
Post by Dogbertd
Post by RANDY WOLFGANG
Post by g***@gmail.com
http://dailynous.com/2019/07/26/bryan-magee-1930-2019/
Sad news - he wrote two of the greatest books on Wagner ever written -
Aspects of Wagner and The Tristan Chord. Will be missed - a voice of
reason
Magee was one of the few writers to take Wagner seriously as a thinker
(I suppose Roger Scruton is another although I've yet to read any of
his books on Wagner). Magee's book on Schopenhauer is excellent and has
a large chapter on Schopenhauer and Wagner which I've always found to
be hugely convincing, providing a philosophical rationale for Tristan,
Meistersinger and Parsifal.
Magee on Schopenhauer:

https://aeon.co/videos/the-intellectual-legacy-of-philosophys-greatest-pessimist-life-is-suffering-art-is-supreme
g***@gmail.com
2019-11-04 08:26:05 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
http://dailynous.com/2019/07/26/bryan-magee-1930-2019/
According to this recent article:

- When the philosopher Bryan Magee died in July there were numerous tributes online and in the papers. But on the BBC, where he had made his name presenting Men of Ideas (1978) and The Great Philosophers (1987), there was nothing. No tributes, no repeats, not even on iPlayer.

https://www.newstatesman.com/2019/10/death-great-cultural-critic
REP
2019-11-04 23:59:34 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by g***@gmail.com
http://dailynous.com/2019/07/26/bryan-magee-1930-2019/
- When the philosopher Bryan Magee died in July there were numerous tributes online and in the papers. But on the BBC, where he had made his name presenting Men of Ideas (1978) and The Great Philosophers (1987), there was nothing. No tributes, no repeats, not even on iPlayer.
https://www.newstatesman.com/2019/10/death-great-cultural-critic
The BBC is not what it used to be.

REP
gggg gggg