Nina Stemme
m***@gmail.com
2018-05-13 21:49:39 UTC
I was wondering what the group thinks about her. I have seen and heard her quite a few times and I certainly know that singers able do to justice to this music have never been exactly plentiful (except maybe from the 1920s-1940s for some strange reason) So I am grateful for her being around but I just don't "get" her. In other words I just don't find myself looking particularly forward to hearing her or even searching her out. And to tell the truth as I sit here typing I'm not sure I can recall what she even sounds like. I guess its just a personal thing.
Mike Scott Rohan
2018-05-17 17:56:07 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
I was wondering what the group thinks about her. I have seen and heard her quite a few times and I certainly know that singers able do to justice to this music have never been exactly plentiful (except maybe from the 1920s-1940s for some strange reason) So I am grateful for her being around but I just don't "get" her. In other words I just don't find myself looking particularly forward to hearing her or even searching her out. And to tell the truth as I sit here typing I'm not sure I can recall what she even sounds like. I guess its just a personal thing.
I've always been quite impressed by her. I first encountered her as Sieglinde in Helsinki, I think in 2004 (and eating at the next table in the nearby Hungarian restaurant!) and found her a knockout -- and obviously a Brunnhilde in the making, much better than the (highly forgettable) one actually singing that night. Being pretty good-looking didn't hurt either. And she made an amazing Isolde at Glyndebourne, though not the hugest or lushest sound, one of the most intense I've heard. I've enjoyed her performances since, although in many -- the La Scala DVD Ring -- she sounds, if not exactly strained, somewhat pressured. But that said, I think I know something of what you mean. It's an admirably clear voice, at its best, but not the most characterful or memorable sound. I can take that, certainly compared to a lot else around, but there are others I'd rather hear. As I write this I've been listening to Florence Austral, and Grace Moore is just coming on, in the Immolation (en Francais!); two very different and distinctive singers. I doubt I could register Stemme so clearly. But she still sounds very good, and there's plenty of character in her acting.

2018-05-17 18:00:14 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
[...]
Arrrgh. I meant Marjorie Lawrence. Grace bloody Moore? Where did my subconscious get *that* from?

2018-05-17 19:29:36 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
I was wondering what the group thinks about her. I have seen and heard her quite a few times and I certainly know that singers able do to justice to this music have never been exactly plentiful (except maybe from the 1920s-1940s for some strange reason) So I am grateful for her being around but I just don't "get" her. In other words I just don't find myself looking particularly forward to hearing her or even searching her out. And to tell the truth as I sit here typing I'm not sure I can recall what she even sounds like. I guess its just a personal thing.
I'm not well-acquainted with her Wagner, but what I've heard was good. Her most impressive performance for me was Jenufa from the Liceu (as seen on DVD). And, as Mike says, she's good-looking, which doesn't hurt. She's also a great actress: she comes across as very genuine in all her roles, especially the innocent, mistreated heroines like Jenufa and Sieglinde.

REP
j***@gmail.com
2018-05-30 05:08:55 UTC
I saw her in one of those HD cinema performances of Turandot at the Met. Not the most luscious of voices, but if I’d been in the theatre that day I would have considered the ticket price well worth it. Sadly the Calaf looked and sounded completely lost. There’s also a Marschallin from somewhere, and her farewell to Oktavian is heartbreaking, even though you know very well that she’ll have another toy boy next week.