Off-off topic, but....
2018-02-17 17:47:22 UTC
While researching, got Google to translate a review page on Elgar's Enigma Variations, conducted by Roger Norrington. It came out as:

"Algae's Mystery Variations, conducted by the Duke of Norrington"

I think I'm going to have to start feeding in some Wagner titles...

2018-02-17 18:43:34 UTC
"Algae's Mystery Variations, conducted by the Duke of Norrington"
I think I'm going to have to start feeding in some Wagner titles...
For a similar alternate-reality experience, try reading the comments on YouTube videos sometime. My favorite: "Wagner's first opera, Renzi [sic], was heavily influenced by Rossini."

REP
Herman van der Woude
2018-02-17 22:45:51 UTC
Post by REP
Post by Mike Scott Rohan
While researching, got Google to translate a review page on Elgar's Enigma
"Algae's Mystery Variations, conducted by the Duke of Norrington"
I think I'm going to have to start feeding in some Wagner titles...
For a similar alternate-reality experience, try reading the comments on
YouTube videos sometime. My favorite: "Wagner's first opera, Renzi [sic], was
heavily influenced by Rossini."
REP
It's a common fact, Internet broadens your knowledge!
--
Met vriendelijke groet,
Cheers,
Herman van der Woude
Mike Scott Rohan
2018-02-17 23:54:43 UTC
Post by Herman van der Woude
Post by REP
Post by Mike Scott Rohan
While researching, got Google to translate a review page on Elgar's Enigma
"Algae's Mystery Variations, conducted by the Duke of Norrington"
I think I'm going to have to start feeding in some Wagner titles...
For a similar alternate-reality experience, try reading the comments on
YouTube videos sometime. My favorite: "Wagner's first opera, Renzi [sic], was
heavily influenced by Rossini."
REP
It's a common fact, Internet broadens your knowledge!
It's certainly done something to mine! It was from Chinese, incidentally, and the rest of the review made pretty interesting reading, too. Mind you, it cuts both ways; it's said that Coca-Cola discovered that, with the right intonations, their name could be translated as "Bite Wax Tadpole". And my sister's Chinese pupils always insisted on their Western names because foreigners said such awful things in trying to pronounce the Chinese.

2018-02-17 23:56:50 UTC
Post by REP
For a similar alternate-reality experience, try reading the comments on YouTube videos sometime. My favorite: "Wagner's first opera, Renzi [sic], was heavily influenced by Rossini."
REP
Aargh. Yes, very Youtube. A useful resource, but reading the posts can make you feel your brain's running out of your ears. And that quite a few others' did likewise long ago...