BluRay re-releases
2018-02-28 15:12:25 UTC
Two more Solti recordings are being re-released on BluRay -- Tristan and Parsifal. If the improvements in sound and accessibility are as major as they are for his Ring and Salome and Elektra, they should be well worth hearing. The Tristan, of course, isn't exactly his finest hour, though it's possible that BluRay remastering may improve the balances, at least; but I've always thought his Parsifal was a major achievement, and of course with a memorable cast. Don't know whether I'll get them for review yet, but will see.

m***@gmail.com
2018-02-28 22:49:09 UTC
The Solti Tannhauser is also coming out on blu ray
m***@gmail.com
2018-03-01 04:04:53 UTC
Two more Solti recordings are being re-released on BluRay -- Tristan and Parsifal. If the improvements in sound and accessibility are as major as they are for his Ring and Salome and Elektra, they should be well worth hearing. The Tristan, of course, isn't exactly his finest hour, though it's possible that BluRay remastering may improve the balances, at least; but I've always thought his Parsifal was a major achievement, and of course with a memorable cast. Don't know whether I'll get them for review yet, but will see.
I just heard act One of the blu ray of the Tristan. The voices are still embedded in the orchestral fabric but since they have more presence in this transfer it doesn't seem quite as bad as in the LPs. Uhl comes out the best - the voice stays completely wrong for the role but you can hear what he is trying to do and there is intelligent phrasing and feeling. Nilssons low notes are also more impactful in the new transfer. The sound is not as mellow as in some of the later Culshaw efforts but the orchestra does sound wonderful.