Mike Scott Rohan memorial page
2018-09-04 17:26:32 UTC
There's a splendid memorial website for Mike at
https://michaelscottrohan.org.uk/: reminiscences are invited and there's
information on three charities for causes close to his heart which you might
like to donate to in his memory.
REP
2018-09-04 23:02:13 UTC
There's a splendid memorial website for Mike at
https://michaelscottrohan.org.uk/: reminiscences are invited and there's
information on three charities for causes close to his heart which you might
like to donate to in his memory.
Thanks, Bert. It's good to see Mike memorialized in this way. We never met in person, but as a regular contributor here, I have known Mike since 2003, and I feel like I got to know him pretty well in that time. When I first started posting here, I was quite young and brash, and Mike and I clashed a few times. Well, that's not exactly true -- I clashed against Mike; Mike never clashed back. He wasn't one to clash at all, which is one reason why I think he was a good influence on me, and why I looked up to him. Not only could he talk circles around me (or anyone, for that matter), he could do it with unshakable good will. He never resorted to the usual vitriol that characterizes so much of online discourse. That's rare in itself, but combined with his intelligence and general knowledgeability, Mike was a force of nature. I'm happy to say that, as a young man, I learned a lot from him -- not just about Wagner and music, but about life in general.

For my part, in honor of Mike's memory, I listened to the complete works of Wagner -- not just the operas, but all the miscellanea that never gets played as well. It took about two weeks, but it was an interesting and rewarding experience, and it was the least I could do for Mike to bring a little more Wagner into the world.