"Orchestra and Politics: music in the Third Reich" (recent article)
g***@gmail.com
2018-03-06 04:07:44 UTC
https://www.varsity.co.uk/music/14975
Mike Scott Rohan
2018-03-06 17:00:05 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
https://www.varsity.co.uk/music/14975
Pretty rational article, which is welcome (especially from a university where I have some links), but doesn't say anything much new to most people here. It does make one crucial distinction between Wagner and the likes of Furtwangler and Strauss, which is that he wasn't living amidst an evil regime, and they were -- although like so many they were slow to grasp its true nature. It's pointless to speculate, but I suspect he too would have been carried away at first by the prospects they offered, and realised his mistake when it was too late.