deb
2018-08-13 14:01:26 UTC
I'm extremely sorry to tell the Group that Michael died yesterday in Western General Hospital, Edinburgh. He had been chronically ill for many years, and acutely ill for a week, and the strain was simply too much for a system in such delicate balance.

He loved the Wagner Group, and valued the friends he made there, and the stimulating dialogue about the composer nearest his heart. I know he will be much missed. I have met some of you, and found kind and lively minds that tuned well with his. I'm sure you will remember his contribution to your lives as gratefully as I will remember our forty-six years together. We fell in love over Wagner, and went to dozens of performances of his operas in Europe and America. Mike has gone, and the music—as great music must—remains.
r***@gmail.com
2018-08-13 14:14:57 UTC
I'm terribly sorry, Deb. I learned a tremendous amount from Mike's beautifully written posts.

RIP

Rosemary Forbes-Butler
deb
2018-08-21 18:28:15 UTC
Thank you, Rosemary.
m***@gmail.com
2018-08-13 15:24:45 UTC
OMG I am so sorry - Mike knew more about Wagner than anyone here and anyone else I know He had an encyclopedic knowledge of the man and his works - he inspired me and taught me so much He was a wonderful author and I am so glad I had a chance to meet you both. I am just heart broken - Deb you are in my prayers. I know when I go over the Bridge I'll meet up with him again and we will have some great discussions.
deb
2018-08-21 18:27:28 UTC
Thank you so much. If you have Mike's e-mail, send him one and I'll reply from mine, if you would like to correspond. I loved meeting the few members of this group that I did, and it would be good to meet again if we can.
REP
2018-08-13 15:33:19 UTC
Post by deb
I'm extremely sorry to tell the Group that Michael died yesterday in Western General Hospital, Edinburgh. He had been chronically ill for many years, and acutely ill for a week, and the strain was simply too much for a system in such delicate balance.
He loved the Wagner Group, and valued the friends he made there, and the stimulating dialogue about the composer nearest his heart. I know he will be much missed. I have met some of you, and found kind and lively minds that tuned well with his. I'm sure you will remember his contribution to your lives as gratefully as I will remember our forty-six years together. We fell in love over Wagner, and went to dozens of performances of his operas in Europe and America. Mike has gone, and the music—as great music must—remains.
I'm sorry to hear this news. Mike's passing is a great loss for us all. He was the linchpin of this group and he will be sorely missed.

REP
m***@gmail.com
I recall his line by line dissection of Hans Sachs final address in Meistersinger and how it showed no anti-Semitism at all. His knowledge of historical facts and Wagners sources was immense. A wonderful science fiction writer as well.
REP
2018-08-13 18:02:15 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by REP
Post by deb
[...]
His knowledge was immense indeed, maybe even unparalleled. I'm not aware of anyone who knew so much or was more willing to share what he knew -- tirelessly it seemed -- with those around him. Over the years, when a topic came up here that had nothing to do with Wagner -- Japanese cinema, fantasy literature, science-fiction, etc. -- Mike always had something to add to the conversation. He seemed to know something about everything, and he always presented his knowledge in a way that was respectful, insightful, and enlightening. I will miss dropping obscure references into my posts and waiting for him to bite.

REP
deb
That dissection was the core of an article he published in Opera magazine--I can't remember what year or month, maybe April '16? Anyway, it annoyed the right people, I gather. I loved it. Yes, his knowledge of many areas was immense, and I too thought he was a wonderful writer.
Michel Casse
2018-08-13 17:29:11 UTC
Post by deb
I'm extremely sorry to tell the Group that Michael died yesterday in Western General Hospital, Edinburgh. He had been chronically ill for many years, and acutely ill for a week, and the strain was simply too much for a system in such delicate balance.
He loved the Wagner Group, and valued the friends he made there, and the stimulating dialogue about the composer nearest his heart. I know he will be much missed. I have met some of you, and found kind and lively minds that tuned well with his. I'm sure you will remember his contribution to your lives as gratefully as I will remember our forty-six years together. We fell in love over Wagner, and went to dozens of performances of his operas in Europe and America. Mike has gone, and the music—as great music must—remains.
I am sorry to learn this. I always read him with great pleasure. I liked his erudition, his humour sometimes (I remember a fun about dragons), and his style.
We will miss him.
Michel
Bert Coules
2018-08-13 22:22:04 UTC
Deb,

I'm so sorry to hear this. I knew that Mike was often in poor health but I
never realised that things had reached such a point.

I'll not forget his his knowledge his warmth and his generosity, nor the
friendship which I regarded as close and personal even though we never met.
We seemed to be of like mind on so many subjects.

My deepest condolences to you and to anyone else who knew and loved him.

Bert
d***@hotmail.com
2018-08-14 14:11:17 UTC
I am deeply sorry to hear this. I have always enjoyed Mike’s commentaries, and learned a great deal from them. His posts were always gentlemanly. He will be greatly missed.

David
deb
2018-08-21 17:42:50 UTC
Thank you. So many people will miss him. He enjoyed the Group very much.
Dogbertd
2018-08-20 15:36:17 UTC
Post by deb
I'm extremely sorry to tell the Group that Michael died yesterday in
Western General Hospital, Edinburgh. He had been chronically ill for
many years, and acutely ill for a week, and the strain was simply too
much for a system in such delicate balance.
He loved the Wagner Group, and valued the friends he made there, and
the stimulating dialogue about the composer nearest his heart. I know
he will be much missed. I have met some of you, and found kind and
lively minds that tuned well with his. I'm sure you will remember his
contribution to your lives as gratefully as I will remember our
forty-six years together. We fell in love over Wagner, and went to
dozens of performances of his operas in Europe and America. Mike has
gone, and the music—as great music must—remains.
I'm profoundly sorry to hear this. He was really intelligent, humane
and always polite in his online presence: increasingly rare qualities
these days. I never met him, but felt I knew him by his words here and
like many others here I greatly valued his opinion. He will be sorely
missed.

Dogbertd
deb
He was polite offline, too, intelligent in several different ways, and, yes, humane. Thank you so much.
Monte
2018-08-20 15:52:55 UTC
Very sad. I haven't logged on here in years. But I remember Mike so well from the old day when we tag-teamed bashing Nazi trolls with Laon and Derrick Everett. He was great!
deb
2018-08-21 17:39:45 UTC
Post by Monte
Post by deb
[...]
Dear Monte,

Thank you for this. I know he enjoyed the occasional trollbashing, and especially in such good company.
Herman van der Woude
2018-08-22 14:40:51 UTC
Post by deb
I'm extremely sorry to tell the Group that Michael died yesterday in Western
General Hospital, Edinburgh. He had been chronically ill for many years, and
acutely ill for a week, and the strain was simply too much for a system in
such delicate balance.
He loved the Wagner Group, and valued the friends he made there, and the
stimulating dialogue about the composer nearest his heart. I know he will be
much missed. I have met some of you, and found kind and lively minds that
tuned well with his. I'm sure you will remember his contribution to your
lives as gratefully as I will remember our forty-six years together. We fell
in love over Wagner, and went to dozens of performances of his operas in
Europe and America. Mike has gone, and the music—as great music must—remains.
First of all, our sincerest condolences with this loss. Both Astrid and
I are shocked reading this. And literally lost for words.

Astrid and I are in France, our yearly stay in what we call our summer
residence, just a mobile home, nothing special. Mike knew we had this
thing in the North of Brittany. What I do want to mention is, that our
Internet connectivity is so lousy and often lacking, that we only
learned today, twelve days later, of this sad news.

As you remember, we met twice or thrice. The four of us had dinner
together in a restaurant in Cambridge, we went to a pub in a village
nearby Cambridge and we spent an evening in your home, then near
Cambridge. And Astrid was so lucky to have your apartment in Edinburgh
with some friends of hers during a weekend in November.

Of course we talked a lot about Wagner and performances and I still
cherish some CD's and DVD's he gave us. I will feel his wisdom for a
very long time to come. Not only Wagner - let us not forget how fond he
was of Sibelius and how he loved watching ballets with you, Deb.

We knew he how seriously ill he was, we knew he was never to recover,
but we hoped that he still had a long time to go in his beloved
Edinburgh - how sad it is to learn, that such was not his luck. We do
hope, that he passed away peacefully.

We both longed so much to see you both back in Edinburgh some day,
maybe even next winter or spring in good health, and now that is too
late.

BBC Music Magazine will never be the same again and the world became
poorer this month.

Deb, as soon as I can, I will get in touch with you - if you like! Our
thoughts are with you.
--
Met vriendelijke groet,
Cheers,

---
Deze e-mail is gecontroleerd op virussen door AVG.
http://www.avg.com