Johan Botha RIP
w***@gmail.com
2016-09-08 13:38:16 UTC
A wonderful tenor dead of liver cancer at 51
Mike Scott Rohan
2016-09-08 17:16:32 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
A wonderful tenor dead of liver cancer at 51
I've just seen this myself. Poor guy! I first spotted him years ago, pre-Wagner, in a Covent Garden Puccini collection, struck by the power and unforced beauty of tone. But when I actually saw him it was a let-down, a worse stage figure even than Pavarotti or Hans Beirer in late career; he really spoiled Meistersinger for me, especially David McVicar's. And yet though he couldn't really move properly, let alone embody the part, he could act with his face and manner, and make real use of the flexibility in his voice. Not easily matched or replaced.

Mike
w***@gmail.com
2016-09-08 17:35:34 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
A wonderful tenor dead of liver cancer at 51
I've just seen this myself. Poor guy! I first spotted him years ago, pre-Wagner, in a Covent Garden Puccini collection, struck by the power and unforced beauty of tone. But when I actually saw him it was a let-down, a worse stage figure even than Pavarotti or Hans Beirer in late career; he really spoiled Meistersinger for me, especially David McVicar's. And yet though he couldn't really move properly, let alone embody the part, he could act with his face and manner, and make real use of the flexibility in his voice. Not easily matched or replaced.
Mike
He was one of the very few tenors I ever heard live to sing Stolzing from beginning to end without pooping out