BIRGIT NILSSON - AN HOMMAGE
m***@gmail.com
2018-07-03 03:17:55 UTC
I know of no other book celebrating the life and work of an opera singer as lavish as this. The book physically is beautiful - the large pages really well bound in the spine (which is good since this book must weigh over ten pounds) The book is dust covered and lays in a nice heavy duty slipcase. The book itself is filled with many remembrances from those who knew and worked with her, tons of photographs of her in her most famous roles, news paper articles, obituaries and much else. Its expensive and I guess a bit much but for those of us who admired and loved her work, its a great gift.
Bert Coules
2018-07-03 09:47:24 UTC
Looks interesting, but £100? Wow.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Birgit-Nilsson-Homage-Rutbert-Reisch/dp/3903153923/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1530611114&sr=8-3&keywords=birgit+nilsson
Mike Scott Rohan
2018-07-03 11:38:09 UTC
Looks interesting, but £100? Wow.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Birgit-Nilsson-Homage-Rutbert-Reisch/dp/3903153923/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1530611114&sr=8-3&keywords=birgit+nilsson
Yes, and while it's pleasant to see opera being taken seriously enough for a book like this, I really can't help wondering how much value is there in this kind of material, for an individual singer? In looking at so many photos of Nilsson, for example? After all, very few singers have anything like the physique du role, let alone the age, and Nilsson was never among the most convincing or photogenic. Some photos of her, such as the studio Brunnhilde that Decca seems addicted to, are downright embarrassing. What matters more, surely, are her performances, which allow us to suspend our disbelief. So while some background material can be interesting enough, I'd sooner spend this amount of money on her recordings. That's where the Nilsson magic lies.