Opera North's Ring
2016-06-12 00:20:50 UTC
I gather that some of these performances, I think the ones in Leeds this year, have been recorded for streaming and possible other commercial release. These are semi-staged against giant screens with background imagery and surtitles; the multiple casting is international, but with a preponderance of British singers. Wotan, originally sung by Michael Druitt, extremely well as far as I heard him, is also being sung by Robert Hayward, of the ENO and international houses from Munich and Frankfurt to Houston (and was also brave enough to sing Act III Walkure at the Glastonbury rock festival!). These performances have been much praised, especially for the conducting of Richard Farnes, which has been compared to Goodall (but isn't as slow!). I wouldn't put it quite so strongly, but then I haven't heard a complete performance yet; overall, I'd say the standard compares with ENO in the Goodall days, or with the Halle performances under Sir Mark Elder, some of which are available on CD.

2016-06-12 00:27:57 UTC
[...]
Confirmed; a digital company called The Space, apparently. And meanwhile the BBC will be broadcasting other performances, from Gateshead, in July.