Do you consider Wagner to have been self-destructive? (recent article)
Add Reply
g***@gmail.com
2017-03-09 23:12:26 UTC
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/article-4163732/Being-Wagner-Simon-Callow-review-Delightful.html
m***@gmail.com
2017-03-10 15:52:22 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/article-4163732/Being-Wagner-Simon-Callow-review-Delightful.html
No
C.Z.
2017-05-19 15:21:30 UTC
Of course he was. And I base this on purely practical considerations, not just psychological ones. His involvement in the 1848 revolutions led to exile and the hampering of his career, whatever may have been the justice of his cause. And the difficulties he made for King Ludwig II resulted in significantly less finiancial support overall than he would otherwise have received, forcing him into exhausting concert tours to raise money for Bayreuthand The Ring. The extra stress may have had an effect on his heart disease and shortened his life. Repeatedly tripping oneself up is certainly self-destructive.
m***@gmail.com
2017-05-21 11:59:32 UTC
Post by C.Z.
Of course he was. And I base this on purely practical considerations, not just psychological ones. His involvement in the 1848 revolutions led to exile and the hampering of his career, whatever may have been the justice of his cause. And the difficulties he made for King Ludwig II resulted in significantly less finiancial support overall than he would otherwise have received, forcing him into exhausting concert tours to raise money for Bayreuthand The Ring. The extra stress may have had an effect on his heart disease and shortened his life. Repeatedly tripping oneself up is certainly self-destructive.
A lot of what you mentioned was the result of his massive ego and had I think little to do with self destructive tendencies. He thought he was a special gift to humanity and could do what he wanted.