1960 Bayreuth Meistersinger Official Release
Jay Kauffman
2015-09-27 11:27:06 UTC
http://www.mdt.co.uk/wagner-die-meistersinger-von-nurnberg-hans-knappertsbusch-orfeo-4cds.html
wkasimer
2015-09-28 13:18:00 UTC
Post by Jay Kauffman
http://www.mdt.co.uk/wagner-die-meistersinger-von-nurnberg-hans-knappertsbusch-orfeo-4cds.html
I have this broadcast in its Myto issue from a couple of years ago:

http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Meistersinger-Nurnberg-Bayreuth-Knappertsbusch/dp/B004JESNHK

It's a very fine performance, and I will certainly buy the Orfeo issue when it appears. Greindl is a lot better than one might suspect; there's some bellowing in Act 2, but he's excellent in the longer, more conversational passages.
Mike Scott Rohan
2015-09-28 17:24:31 UTC
Post by Jay Kauffman
http://www.mdt.co.uk/wagner-die-meistersinger-von-nurnberg-hans-knappertsbusch-orfeo-4cds.html
The Myto still seems to be available, and much cheaper -- about half the price. Any reason to believe the Orfeo will be better?

2015-09-28 17:26:28 UTC
Post by Jay Kauffman
http://www.mdt.co.uk/wagner-die-meistersinger-von-nurnberg-hans-knappertsbusch-orfeo-4cds.html
The Myto still seems to be available, and much cheaper -- about half the price. Any reason to believe the Orfeo will be better?
My mistake, it's the 1961 that's still on Myto, apparently.

wkasimer
2015-09-28 22:37:34 UTC
My mistake, it's the 1961 that's still on Myto, apparently.
Copies of the Myto issue of 1960 are still available:

http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Meistersinger-Nurnberg-Bayreuth-Knappertsbusch/dp/B004JESNHK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/music/dp/B004JESNHK

I bought my copy from Norbeck and Peters, who probably still sell it. And once they are up and running again, Berkshire is likely to offer it again.

As for the Orfeo, it's likely to sound at least somewhat better, as they usually have access to official sources. The difference can be quite significant (e.g. the 1952 Bayreuth Tristan).

I would avoid the 1961 performance. Myto screwed it up somehow, inserting part of a 1957 performance with Gustav Neidlinger as Sachs and Walter Geisler as Walther.
wkasimer
2015-10-09 10:32:16 UTC
My copy of the Orfeo arrived yesterday. I listened to a few spots and oompared it with the Myto release. The Orfeo sounds VASTLY superior - the difference is immediately apparent. Sonically, this is about as good as any monaural Bayreuth recording I've ever heard.
Jay Kauffman
2015-10-10 02:50:42 UTC
Post by wkasimer
Post by Jay Kauffman
http://www.mdt.co.uk/wagner-die-meistersinger-von-nurnberg-hans-knappertsbusch-orfeo-4cds.html
My copy of the Orfeo arrived yesterday. I listened to a few spots and oompared it with the Myto release. The Orfeo sounds VASTLY superior - the difference is immediately apparent. Sonically, this is about as good as any monaural Bayreuth recording I've ever heard.
This is true for just about every official Bayreuth release on Orfeo compared to private issues =- there is something for having access to the original tapes and remastering them properly