Rheingold at Lyric Chicago, 2016
Poster Bear
2016-11-20 23:54:44 UTC
Did anyone here catch the Lyric production this year?

I did not appreciate Wotan dressed as a pirate dandy !
Mike Scott Rohan
2016-11-21 15:00:26 UTC
Post by Poster Bear
Did anyone here catch the Lyric production this year?
I did not appreciate Wotan dressed as a pirate dandy !
I've seen some reviews, most of which seemed to think the pirate costumes not especially remarkable. Which, given the run of most stagings today, they probably aren't. It does look a mess, and ominously Pountney describes Walkure as "Ibsenesque", which gives us an idea what to expect there -- all top hats and Hedda Gabler bourgeoise. That's certainly what he gave us in his Dutchman for ENO. Pity, he used to be a seriously good producer, as witness his Janacek cycle and Meistersinger, but he's declined into labour-saving Eurotrash.

I haven't heard any of it yet, but Eric Owens, fine voice though he has, isn't my idea of a Wotan.