"Understanding the Leitmotif..." (new book)
g***@gmail.com
2015-12-05 11:16:19 UTC
http://www.cambridge.org/us/academic/subjects/music/opera/understanding-leitmotif-wagner-hollywood-film-music
Mike Scott Rohan
2015-12-05 17:58:38 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
http://www.cambridge.org/us/academic/subjects/music/opera/understanding-leitmotif-wagner-hollywood-film-music
Publish or perish......

Herman van der Woude
2015-12-05 18:29:00 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
http://www.cambridge.org/us/academic/subjects/music/opera/understanding-leitmotif-wagner-hollywood-film-music
Publish or perish......
If you would need this book, you would not like music, in any case, not
like Wagner's music. And it is far too expensive! For that money you'd
better buy yourself a decent Ring!
--
Met vriendelijke groet,
Cheers,
Herman van der Woude
Mike Scott Rohan
2015-12-07 11:23:50 UTC
Post by Herman van der Woude
Post by Mike Scott Rohan
Post by g***@gmail.com
http://www.cambridge.org/us/academic/subjects/music/opera/understanding-leitmotif-wagner-hollywood-film-music
Publish or perish......
If you would need this book, you would not like music, in any case, not
like Wagner's music. And it is far too expensive! For that money you'd
better buy yourself a decent Ring!
--
Met vriendelijke groet,
Cheers,
Herman van der Woude
Yes, it's amazing what they charge, even for electronic versions -- Vasconyi's Wagner Encyclopaedia, which isn't that brilliant, is about £180. Ok, I haven't read this one, but from the description alone it looks pretty unnecessary -- just study for the sake of study. Of course leitmotif in its simplest "calling-card" sense adapts well to film, as it does to anything with a visual or other extra-musical content, but I suspect a whole book on the subject is unlikely to unveil anything much more than that. Given the cavalier way studios use and reuse music, it tends to destroy any meaningful relationship with the actual film -- look at the way Max Steiner's King Kong leitmotifs crop up in other films, like The Big Sleep. Deconstructively significant, maybe, but not otherwise.