Opera North's Ring takes to the air
2017-02-03 18:53:23 UTC
The Opera North semi-staged Ring was filmed live at Leeds Town Hall last
year and will be available to watch online from Sunday February 12th, with
Rheingold (and only Rheingold, sadly) also being transmitted on BBC 4 at 7pm
on that same day.

And if you've an interest in the art of conducting you can watch a
single-shot conductor-cam of Richard Farnes conducting the entire cycle.

Details at
https://www.operanorth.co.uk/news/the-ring-returns-online-watch-the-world-end?utm_campaign=236408_170110SeasonAnnouncement1718MAIN&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Opera%20North&dm_i=3T5R,52EW,193MCJ,GUMF,1

Short version: https://tinyurl.com/jlomzhu

Bert
Bert Coules
2017-02-03 18:57:23 UTC
The conductor cam is in fact already up:

Bert
Mike Scott Rohan
2017-02-05 19:02:04 UTC
http://youtu.be/JWhRThHJGoE
Bert
Thanks for all this, Bert. Alas, we're busy being messed about by house-buyers but may be able to see Rheingold.

2017-02-14 15:29:27 UTC
The Rheingold wasn't entirely successful for me. There was a lot of closeup
camerawork which rather detracted from the very aspect that made the live
performance unique: the big projection screens and the placing of the
singers in relation to the orchestra. And according to people who saw the
show in various venues, some key moments which involved close correspondence
between the actors and the screens went for next to nothing on the
broadcast.

Musically it was pretty good, and what did come across of the staging worked
well, Loge's obsessive (would-be firelike?) finger-fluttering apart.

From the point of view of building a new audience for the work (and the
Beeb's trails have apparently been slanted in that direction, with
references to The Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones) it's a real pity
that the rest of the cycle is only available online.

Bert
Herman van der Woude
2017-02-14 17:17:44 UTC
The Rheingold wasn't entirely successful for me. There was a lot of closeup
camerawork which rather detracted from the very aspect that made the live
performance unique: the big projection screens and the placing of the singers
in relation to the orchestra. And according to people who saw the show in
various venues, some key moments which involved close correspondence between
the actors and the screens went for next to nothing on the broadcast.
Musically it was pretty good, and what did come across of the staging worked
well, Loge's obsessive (would-be firelike?) finger-fluttering apart.
From the point of view of building a new audience for the work (and the
Beeb's trails have apparently been slanted in that direction, with references
to The Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones) it's a real pity that the rest
of the cycle is only available online.
Bert
It didn't work for me. The orchestra was (much) better than I expected,
and so was the conducting, but the singers did not convince me,
actually none of them, all too weak. Since all 'Eurotrash' we have
around, I personally prefer concert performances, as I can make my own
staging in my head. I did like the projections, though. In a few words,
maybe good enough for an audience toe watch and hear in the concert
hall, but not good enough for me. So, you'll understand, Bert, I'm not
that interested in the rest of THIS Ring.
--
Met vriendelijke groet,
Cheers,
Herman van der Woude
Mike Scott Rohan
2017-02-15 16:56:54 UTC
The Rheingold wasn't entirely successful for me. There was a lot of closeup
camerawork which rather detracted from the very aspect that made the live
performance unique: the big projection screens and the placing of the
singers in relation to the orchestra. And according to people who saw the
show in various venues, some key moments which involved close correspondence
between the actors and the screens went for next to nothing on the
broadcast.
Musically it was pretty good, and what did come across of the staging worked
well, Loge's obsessive (would-be firelike?) finger-fluttering apart.
From the point of view of building a new audience for the work (and the
Beeb's trails have apparently been slanted in that direction, with
references to The Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones) it's a real pity
that the rest of the cycle is only available online.
Bert
Deb and I managed to see it, despite house-clearing and heavy colds, and we loved it -- as an ensemble. I'd agree that some of the effect of the screen projections was lost, but these simply would not have come over in the same way on a TV screen as they did in the hall, the sense of proportion would have been lost. This did a lot to restore it, although no doubt some correlations did suffer, and at one point, at least, the clouds shifted with the camera, ruining the illusion. Against that, the mist-wreathed mountaintop was far more impressive. As to the singers, it's true some didn't have huge voices -- although Mats Almgren and Jo Polheim, whom I've heard elsewhere, do. James Cresswell wasn't a conventional booming Fasolt but made up for it with incisive singing. Michael Druitt, though, definitely sounded more muted that he has done live, at least to start with; he seemed to warm up later. But his voice production seems inherently less forceful and and vehement, as if he's saving himself in places. The Donner should have been singing Alberich, especially physically! But only Freia of this cast sounded really underparted to me. What we found so convincing was the sense of ensemble, which would be unusual for a fully staged performance these days, and made the weight of voices perhaps less important. I haven't seem any of the rest in the flesh, but look forward to catching up with them when my cold is better. The main problem we found with this one was very poor sync in the soundtrack -- or was that somehow our TV?

2017-02-15 20:42:50 UTC
Mike, I can't say I noticed any lack of sync though I have to admit I only
dipped into the broadcast every now and then; I have the whole thing
recorded for when I have time to spare. I'm pleased that you and Deb
enjoyed it: as I said above, I thought that some parts of it worked well and
I agree about the ensemble and the excellence of some of the performances
and the original live direction. I did want to strap Loge's arms firmly to
his sides but I suspect that that wouldn't have stopped him wiggling his
fingers.

Bert
Michel Casse
2017-11-09 19:19:38 UTC
I come back to this thread to inform you that the Rheingold can now be seen at the following address:
https://operavision.eu/fr/library/operas

The rest of the Ring will be available in the course of the following weeks before the end of the year, one act after the other at this links : https://operavision.eu/fr/venir

The addresses are for the French version of the site, but you can also find them in an English version with the following links :
https://operavision.eu/en/library/operas
https://operavision.eu/en/coming-soon

Michel