Naxos Walkure
2016-11-07 18:22:36 UTC
Just reviewing this up-coming release, and rather to my surprise I like it a lot. I didn't entirely warm to his Rheingold (as per my review on www.classical-music.com, along with the Rattle Rheingold, clumsily separated at editorial stage) but here both he and Goerne come alive, Petra Lang is a slightly odd-sounding but committed Brunhilde, and as the Volsungs the well established Skelton-Melton team are even better than the last time I heard them live. Two fine British Brunnhildes (Katherine Broderick and Elaine McKrill) among a very fine Valkyrie team, too. Playing and recording are pretty good, and, like the cast, exceptional for a bargain-price release. Unfortunately I don't yet have the BluRay issue, but it promises very well indeed for the rest of the cycle!

w***@gmail.com
2016-11-08 18:50:18 UTC
Mike was this the blu ray release???
w***@gmail.com
2016-11-08 18:52:11 UTC
oh sorry I missed your disclaimer about tte blu ray
Mike Scott Rohan
2016-11-09 12:48:31 UTC
On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 6:52:12 PM UTC, ***@gmail.com wrote:
??
Post by w***@gmail.com
oh sorry I missed your disclaimer about tte blu ray
One thing I do have now is the prices, and the BluRay will in fact (and not unreasonably) be half the price of the CD -- about £11 at UK discount prices. That is pretty damn good value!