The case of the missing "Zuruck vom Ring"
2016-07-31 20:21:17 UTC
Well, the Bayreuth Gotterdammerung broadcast just ended -- without the opera's final line. I'd like to think that the singer simply messed up, but I think it's far more likely that the line was deliberately left out because it didn't fit the director's special-snowflake artistic vision. Oi vey.

2016-07-31 23:49:48 UTC
If Castorf was willing to cut one line because it didn't suit his version of
the work, why didn't he change all the other instances where what we saw
flatly contradicted what we heard? Like - to give just one example - Hagen,
having been told about Siegfried's one vulnerable spot, proceeding to bash
him over the head with a baseball bat? Actually though, he didn't, he
missed by a mile, but given the nature of the production it was impossible
to know if we were supposed to notice that or not. Fortunately for Hagen,
Siegfried obligingly died anyway. What a nice chap.

Hagen's line was present and correct in the subtitles but they were so
wayward and clunky in general one more silliness came as no surprise.
w***@gmail.com
Castorf could care less about Wagners intentions Even at the very beginning in Rheingold instead of Alberich intruding on the Rheindaughters and getting rebuffed with tragic consequences, here he is minding his own business resting on a chaise lounge and they start with him!!!!!!!
w***@gmail.com
2016-08-01 03:45:37 UTC
Post by REP
Well, the Bayreuth Gotterdammerung broadcast just ended -- without the opera's final line. I'd like to think that the singer simply messed up, but I think it's far more likely that the line was deliberately left out because it didn't fit the director's special-snowflake artistic vision. Oi vey.
REP
I believe Castorf requested some line changes and was rightly refused. Perhaps he got that in??? Remember all the trouble Wieland got into when he cut Gutrunes little scene after Siegfrieds Funeral March in Gotterdammerung in 1965