"Simon Gray got a whole good sad play, Otherwise Engaged, about a middle-aged Londoner struggling to listen to his Wagner records while being interrupted..."
g***@gmail.com
2017-09-28 05:50:30 UTC
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35840926
Mike Scott Rohan
2017-09-28 12:23:19 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35840926
Yes, I remember the premiere of this in Oxford when I lived there. It wasn't just "Wagner records", though, but more specific. The protagonist -- I think it was Alan Bates -- opened the play by peeling the plastic off his new Parsifal set (the Solti, which was new at the time) and putting on the prelude. (I imagine some poor ASM having to wrap and rewrap it every night and twice for matinees.) I had to explain to all my OUDS friends what Parsifal was about. It fuelled a great and very pseudy discussion about whether we had to see Bates' withdrawn character as a kind of holy fool, or as a self-centred passive-aggressive jerk. In the days when people took operatic characters seriously one might perhaps have made something interesting of that with Parsifal himself.