Personal business...
2017-03-28 01:41:53 UTC
Shouldn't really use the group for my own news, but it's quiskest, especially as one or two may be expecting to hear from me. I hope to be in touch soon, but am slightly embattled. A nightmarish house clearance left me with two rather nasty injuries, one of which has more or less lost the sight in my left eye. Well, I always wanted to sing Wotan... The good news is that they think it will clear up eventually, as also the injured left foot -- it's the antibiotics for that which have knocked me out. And the wrenched right shoulder...

However, I've continued to work when I can, so I have a review of a new DVD of Das Liebesverbot (not that good) coming up in BBC Music, and a Composer of the Month article on Wagner, looking at the two sides of him presented in Joachim Koch's books. Don't know exactly when yet, as the editor, a very distinguished organist, has also broken his ankle... It's a man's life being a music critic.

One last bit of news -- at this year's Edinburgh Festival they're continuing their Ring, with Walkure, conducted by Sir Andrew Davis with Christine Goerke, Bryn Terfel and Simon O'Neill. Hopefully this will be broadcast.

Trust you're all a damn sight better than I am,

2017-03-28 02:03:24 UTC
[...]
Goodness, Mike. Sounds like you've had it rough lately. I hope everything recovers, eye and all. Maybe afterwards, you can take a nice, cathartic sledgehammer to whatever pieces of furniture did you in, a la Stephen King.

Too bad about that Liebesverbot. We could use a good one, but I doubt we'll see one any time soon.

As for me, I've been spending more time reading than listening to opera lately. I've almost finished the Discworld series, which I picked up in 2015, and recently I started in on Wodehouse. I had read some Jeeves & Wooster before, but I'm really enjoying the Blandings saga more.

Take care of yourself.

2017-03-28 08:26:24 UTC
Good grief, Mike! Sorry to hear your tale of woe, but it's good news that
none of your injuries are permanent. All good wishes for a speedy and
complete recovery.

Bert
Herman van der Woude
2017-03-28 08:39:45 UTC
[...]
Moving is a dangerous job, Mike! Astrid and I do hope that your
recovery will be complete and soon. All best wishes to you and Deb.
--
Met vriendelijke groet,
Cheers,
Herman van der Woude
Mike Scott Rohan
2017-03-28 15:00:50 UTC
Post by Herman van der Woude
Moving is a dangerous job, Mike! Astrid and I do hope that your
recovery will be complete and soon. All best wishes to you and Deb.
--
Met vriendelijke groet,
Cheers,
Herman van der Woude
Thanks to you all for your good wishes! At least they've stopped the antibiotics today, which were making me feel awful in themselves, so it's just a matter of healing. And it did give me the chance to watch the rest of Opera North's Ring, albeit slightly spaced out ( me, that is). I do agree with many listeners that the casting in particular is very mixed, but it's amazing that they found so many choices for these roles. Opera North is really a small, provincial company, with a budget that seems minuscule alongside most German or even American local companies, and it can't afford to hire many of the big guns. I lived more or less alongside it for ten years, even could have ended up working there, and the standards it has kept up are impressive. I still remember a Boris Godunov with native son Sir John Tomlinson, and Verdi's Atilla, likewise, both among the most living, vivid performances I've seen anywhere. I see something of that in the Ring, though less perfect, with more inner life than a lot of what crosses my desk, from Bayreuth to the Kirov -- and they can also come royally unstuck. And some individual singers, such as Lars Cleveman and Kathleen Broderick (amazingly like Rita Hunter, if slightly less incisive vocally), I'd gladly hear again soon.

Anyhow, all best!

Richard Partridge
2017-03-28 19:11:37 UTC
On 3/28/17 11:00 AM, Mike Scott Rohan, at
Post by Mike Scott Rohan
Post by Herman van der Woude
[...]
Antibiotics tend to wipe out intestinal flora. To reestablish friendly
flora quickly, before bad guys move in, my doctor recommends taking
probiotics for a couple of days.

Dick Partridge
Mike Scott Rohan
2017-03-29 16:03:13 UTC
Post by Richard Partridge
Antibiotics tend to wipe out intestinal flora. To reestablish friendly
flora quickly, before bad guys move in, my doctor recommends taking
probiotics for a couple of days.
Dick Partridge
Thanks, Dick, I'm onto that already, and it does work up to a point. I've had so much antibiotic this last couple of years my flora is probably courtesy of Klingsor, anyway.

Cheers and all the best,

Mike
Peter
2017-03-30 03:38:12 UTC
Hello,

I also want to add my very best wishes for a speedy recovery for you, and I
sincerely hope that you will be completely functional in the very near term.

And remember with all of the Regie Theater performances you can surely sing
Wotan with two eyes, so once more, do make a very complete recovery in a
minimum of time.

Also wish my very best to Deb,

Peter U.
Mike Scott Rohan
2017-04-04 18:07:13 UTC
Post by Peter
Hello,
I also want to add my very best wishes for a speedy recovery for you, and I
sincerely hope that you will be completely functional in the very near term.
And remember with all of the Regie Theater performances you can surely sing
Wotan with two eyes, so once more, do make a very complete recovery in a
minimum of time.
Also wish my very best to Deb,
Peter U.
Thanks, Peter, to you and Marge -- things could be worse, indeed, and I'm getting about after a fashion. At least I'm limping on a different leg from last year!

You're absolutely right about the Regietheater, although I wouldn't want to dress as badly as most Wotans are made to these days. No, one eye still seems right -- although even in the old days it was represented in very different ways. Most often it was an eyepatch, but at New Bayreuth they sometimes just glued on some extra-long eyelashes, while at Covent Garden I remember seeing Messrs McIntyre and Ward sporting magnificent black eyes -- merely greasepaint, of course, but as they both looked like formidable brawlers at the best of times, it created a suitably wild impression. I can testify that I'd rather not have an eye blanked out on stage, with the lack of depth perception; it might even account for Hotter's famous fall (off his own set, too) in one short-lived ROH Ring!