From a Japanese Ring....
2018-05-15 17:38:50 UTC
There's a Ring cycle in progress of development at Otsu, by Lake Biwa in the Shiga region of Japan. It's distinguished by extensive use of computer graphics, and when I first heard about their Rheingold last year it sounded very promising. They've just done Walkure. I haven't dug up anything about that yet, but I have found a small trailer based on the graphics, and my immediate reaction was...well, see what you think.

https://vimeo.com/260759833

If it doesn't work, you can try googling "Otsu opera".

2018-05-15 17:45:46 UTC
There's a Ring cycle in progress of development at Otsu, by Lake Biwa in the Shiga region of Japan. It's distinguished by extensive use of computer graphics, and when I first heard about their Rheingold last year it sounded very promising. They've just done Walkure. I haven't dug up anything about that yet, but I have found a small trailer based on the graphics, and my immediate reaction was...well, see what you think.
https://vimeo.com/260759833
If it doesn't work, you can try googling "Otsu opera".
And the production's by a GERMAN, would you believe? Maybe there's hope for the world yet. Admittedly Michael Hampe is getting on a bit and was always fairly straightforward, but still very much a "Konzept" man.

Herman van der Woude
2018-05-15 17:54:59 UTC
There's a Ring cycle in progress of development at Otsu, by Lake Biwa in the
Shiga region of Japan. It's distinguished by extensive use of computer
graphics, and when I first heard about their Rheingold last year it sounded
very promising. They've just done Walkure. I haven't dug up anything about
that yet, but I have found a small trailer based on the graphics, and my
immediate reaction was...well, see what you think.
https://vimeo.com/260759833
If it doesn't work, you can try googling "Otsu opera".
It really looks promising!
--
Met vriendelijke groet,
Cheers,

---
Deze e-mail is gecontroleerd op virussen door AVG.
http://www.avg.com
REP
2018-05-15 19:28:14 UTC
There's a Ring cycle in progress of development at Otsu, by Lake Biwa in the Shiga region of Japan. It's distinguished by extensive use of computer graphics, and when I first heard about their Rheingold last year it sounded very promising. They've just done Walkure. I haven't dug up anything about that yet, but I have found a small trailer based on the graphics, and my immediate reaction was...well, see what you think.
https://vimeo.com/260759833
If it doesn't work, you can try googling "Otsu opera".
Looks pretty impressive to me. I have some quibbles with the design (why is Valhalla so dark after the rainbow bridge appears? Donner's clouds are supposed to disperse, aren't they?), but the technology is being put to good use. No, it's not the Hollywood Ring I envision (you'd probably need another few million dollars to achieve that), but at least _someone_ is making the attempt.

REP
m***@gmail.com
2018-05-15 19:39:33 UTC
Looks VERY promising indeed. Could it spark a new trend????
Bert Coules
2018-05-15 20:56:06 UTC
Now that is something like. My one (fairly) major reservation is that while
I bet it looks fantastic from the centre stalls or the centre front of the
dress circle, I wonder about the effect from elsewhere in the house. But I
hope I'm wrong.

I also have the impression that the effects need to be controlled live, at
least to a certain extent, which opens up all sort of exciting
possibilities.

Thanks for the link, Mike.

Bert