San Francisco Ring Revival
kevemaher
2016-10-01 01:36:04 UTC
SFO has just announced the revivial of the 2011 Zambello Ring for June, 2018. Runnicles returns as conductor. Greer Grimsley, of Seattle Ring fame, is Wotan. Herlitzius is Brunnhilde, Brenna is Siegfried, and Matilla is Sieglinde. Jovanovich as Siegmund is a returnee.

Zambello's production appears unchanged. Not my favorite interpretation. Set in mid-twentieth century America and very strongly feminist, it has some cute touches but fails to fascinate.

Well, there are far worse places to be than early summer San Francisco. And the cast is reasonably strong, especially Grimsley.

Kevin
Nicholas G
2016-10-01 20:27:33 UTC
I got a brochure in the mail yesterday about this. I have never hear Brenna sign, I think he doesn't have a very long career and has tended to sign (so far) in more provincial houses.

I'm really disappointed that they replaced Nina Stemme with Evelyn Herlitzius. I didn't like her very much when in the Ring last year.