Gotterdammerung as manga
2016-08-27 23:49:11 UTC
Not exactly a good performance, but a spirited try, and an amusingly unusual staging, one of the ones that are now using computer graphics:

Although Hagen and the Rhinemaidens seem remarkably casual. And there's no "Zuruck vom Ring" that I could hear...

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing the rest of this; I'm researching the cast when I have time.

2016-08-28 04:21:41 UTC
http://youtu.be/UTWPbCiYGeU
Although Hagen and the Rhinemaidens seem remarkably casual. And there's no "Zuruck vom Ring" that I could hear...
Personally I wouldn't mind seeing the rest of this; I'm researching the cast when I have time.
Beautifully done! Though I'm not sure I understand the "manga" reference. You would never guess that this production came out of China.

On a slightly related note, it's getting to the point where the only places you can see good opera these days is in communist and former-communist countries like Russia and China. I'm not sure how I feel about that...

REP
Richard Partridge
2016-08-28 19:41:39 UTC
Post by REP
Post by Mike Scott Rohan
Not exactly a good performance, but a spirited try, and an amusingly unusual
http://youtu.be/UTWPbCiYGeU
Although Hagen and the Rhinemaidens seem remarkably casual. And there's no
"Zuruck vom Ring" that I could hear...
Personally I wouldn't mind seeing the rest of this; I'm researching the cast
when I have time.
Beautifully done! Though I'm not sure I understand the "manga" reference. You
would never guess that this production came out of China.
On a slightly related note, it's getting to the point where the only places
you can see good opera these days is in communist and former-communist
countries like Russia and China. I'm not sure how I feel about that...
REP
That is truly a disgusting state of affairs.

Dick Partridge
Bert Coules
2016-08-28 08:06:08 UTC
Not much Manga there, Mike, surely? But a truly refreshing change from some
stagings I've seen recently. Given those technical resources it's something
of a shame that the direction of the cast isn't more imaginative, but this
is still splendid stuff.

You might have warned us that the clip cuts abruptly before the end!

Thanks for the link.

Bert
Mike Scott Rohan
2016-09-03 02:59:14 UTC
Not much Manga there, Mike, surely? But a truly refreshing change from some
stagings I've seen recently. Given those technical resources it's something
of a shame that the direction of the cast isn't more imaginative, but this
is still splendid stuff.
You might have warned us that the clip cuts abruptly before the end!
Thanks for the link.
Bert
Glad you and others enjoyed it, and thanks for the other act links, which I'll follow when I find a moment. By manga I just meant the style of the projections reminded me of some I've seen, especially in lurid colour and vivid imagery -- although I know that's not the only kind; one of my Japanese editions was illstrated a la manga, all the girls with big googly eyes and looking about 16, but in a much gentler manner. In fact, there is some kind of manga with references to Walkure and the Ring -- although I've never seen it myself.

But it is a damn good try, isn't it?

2016-08-28 08:08:40 UTC
The whole of act one, in a professional recording, is here:

I've only dipped into it so far but it looks wonderful.

Bert
Bert Coules
2016-08-28 08:14:23 UTC
Correction: that's only the first part of act one. The only other YouTube
extract I can find is act three, almost complete (the end is there but the
very beginning is not).

The clips were posted by Ye Chen, the Hagen.
Bert Coules
2016-08-28 08:20:22 UTC
And yet more: the end of act two and the opening of act three:

I imagine that the whole show is there for the finding.

Bert
w***@gmail.com
2016-08-28 11:19:02 UTC
http://youtu.be/UTWPbCiYGeU
I liked some of the projections but others not so much - the Rhine effect was ruined by a cheap looking curtain through which the Rheindaughters appeared and through which Hagen just sauntered away. Maybe I couldn't hear correctly but what language was the soprano singing = half the time it did not sound like the text
Bert Coules
2016-08-28 11:29:58 UTC
I think that if you can look past the execution and try to see the
intention, then it's a fine attempt to achieve textual fidelity with modern
technology. Yes, there's a good deal that I'd like to see done differently,
but for me that's not really the point: I applaud what they managed to do.

Bert
w***@gmail.com
Production wise it is certainly preferable to much of the crap we have to endure nowadays. I mist say though that much of the orchestral playing and singing is hit or miss
Bert Coules
2016-08-28 22:04:01 UTC
...much of the orchestral playing and singing is hit or miss.
Generally speaking with opera I'm far more interested in the staging and the
design than the musical side, though I can appreciate that too. Certainly
any vocal, orchestral or interpretative shortcomings in this particular
instance didn't detract from my enjoyment.

Bert