MET NEW MUSIC DIRECTOR
Jay Kauffman
2016-06-02 13:10:47 UTC
Has been announced as Yannick Nezet-Seguin.
Mike Scott Rohan
2016-06-03 17:52:05 UTC
Post by Jay Kauffman
Has been announced as Yannick Nezet-Seguin.
Interesting, and thank you. From what I've heard of him, both at Philadelphia and the Met, he's on the dynamic and spectacular side, and sometimes a bit glib. Not always a virtue; I thought his Rusalka, which has come out on DVD, was ok but but less atmospheric than Sir Andrew Davis, who isn't so hard-driven. I haven't heard him do Wagner, but I think he's supposed to lead Fligende Hollander next season.

Jay Kauffman
2016-06-03 18:12:17 UTC
Post by Jay Kauffman
Has been announced as Yannick Nezet-Seguin.
Interesting, and thank you. From what I've heard of him, both at Philadelphia and the Met, he's on the dynamic and spectacular side, and sometimes a bit glib. Not always a virtue; I thought his Rusalka, which has come out on DVD, was ok but but less atmospheric than Sir Andrew Davis, who isn't so hard-driven. I haven't heard him do Wagner, but I think he's supposed to lead Fligende Hollander next season.
His Carmen was if I had never heard it before - yes Hollander at the MET next year. Both orchestras really like him - he' s heard not to like (for whatever that's worth)