The Flying Dutchman - in Singapore
Operachic
2016-10-24 16:20:57 UTC
The Richard Wagner Association of Singapore is currently staging The Flying Dutchman - the first time ever in Singapore.
More details on this link -
http://the-mad-scene.blogspot.com.au/2016/10/rwass-tthe-flying-dutchman-in-review-23.html
Operachic
2016-10-25 16:25:41 UTC
An article on Eva Wagner-Pasquier in the local Singapore newspaper.
http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/arts/a-bit-of-wagners-life-in-flying-dutchman
Operachic
2016-10-25 16:35:21 UTC
A Triumphant Opening Night
https://flyingdutchmanopera2016.wordpress.com/2016/10/24/the-flying-dutchman-a-triumphant-opening-night/
Mike Scott Rohan
2016-10-26 00:18:59 UTC
Post by Operachic
The Richard Wagner Association of Singapore is currently staging The Flying Dutchman - the first time ever in Singapore.
More details on this link -
http://the-mad-scene.blogspot.com.au/2016/10/rwass-tthe-flying-dutchman-in-review-23.html
Very interesting, and I'll look out for details. I know wayang kulit shadow puppetry, if it's the same as in Indonesia; I'd be interested to see it used in opera, but I would have thought it suited the Ring better than Dutchman.

Operachic
2016-10-26 17:29:04 UTC
And here is their interesting facebook site with a lot more information. https://www.facebook.com/RichardWagnerAssociationSingapore/
Operachic
2016-11-18 04:21:47 UTC
Post by Operachic
The Richard Wagner Association of Singapore is currently staging The Flying Dutchman - the first time ever in Singapore.
More details on this link -
http://the-mad-scene.blogspot.com.au/2016/10/rwass-tthe-flying-dutchman-in-review-23.html
It was an excellent production. Three Wagnerites from Perth Australia were there. Here is a review:-
http://www.richard-wagner.org/rwvi/en/news/news-committee/?collection_id=1154
Mike Scott Rohan
2016-11-20 01:48:58 UTC
Post by Operachic
The Richard Wagner Association of Singapore is currently staging The Flying Dutchman - the first time ever in Singapore.
My. It might be a bit unkind, but my immediate reaction was "The Mikado". There's no reason at all Hollander shouldn't work well in the context of an Oriental fishing village. But the bright primary colours here seem out of context with Wagner's moody music. It could be just as Oriental, just as stylized and more atmospheric -- as in films like Kwaidan, or A Chinese Ghost Story, or Throne of Blood (aka Cobweb Castle). Likewise the extravagant costumes, especially Erik's, which one imagines would scare away his game. I'd obvioulsy have to see the whole thing -- the wayang kulit especially (which is usually plain black shadows on parchment yellow) -- to comment fairly. But so far I'm not convinced.

There are several interesting Hollanders wandering around the web. Here's a trailer for one I quite like the look of -- now, alas, a victim of the Ukrainian war.