The Opera North Ring broadcast
2016-07-14 19:56:45 UTC
This semi-staged concert version with its giant projection screens has been
mentioned here several times. It was broadcast live last week and the four
nights are still available on the BBC iPlayer: well worth a listen as are
some of the interval chats. I'd advise anyone though to avoid the Beeb's
(anonymous) support article "Six ways you learned about Wagner's Ring
without even noticing" which embarrassingly is chock full of mistakes.
Mike Scott Rohan
2016-07-15 19:27:46 UTC
This semi-staged concert version with its giant projection screens has been
mentioned here several times. It was broadcast live last week and the four
nights are still available on the BBC iPlayer: well worth a listen as are
some of the interval chats. I'd advise anyone though to avoid the Beeb's
(anonymous) support article "Six ways you learned about Wagner's Ring
without even noticing" which embarrassingly is chock full of mistakes.
Aargh, embarrassing -- hope it wasn't one of our mob who wrote it. But you know how the Beeb works -- probably gave the job as an afterthought to the tea-boy or somebody's girlfriend. I'll look into it.

As to the performances, thanks for this, good to know. Unfortunately I've had to miss every single one of them, having other commitments (including a very good performance of Berlioz's Romeo et Juliette, as some compensation) but hope to have time to catch up on iPlayer soon.

2016-07-15 23:50:07 UTC
Mike, I hope you enjoy the Ring, either in its entirety or in sampled bits:
it certainly went down a storm with the audience in Gateshead, and even the
generally old-school-reserved Donald McCloud was audibly caught up in the
excitement. The only real weakness for me was the Hagen, who looks
tremendous - lean, mean and vicious - and apparently had acres of stage
presence but sadly didn't have a voice to match.