Has anyone here been to Bayreuth this year and can report on the added security?
Nicholas G
2016-08-16 00:41:01 UTC
I'm off to the Festival at the end of the week and have read on the internet about additional security measures, I also received an email from the Festival which contained the following: -

"As advanced security measures by the police cannot be ruled out, please plan to arrive at the Festspielhaus and enter a little earlier than usual. We recommend arriving about 45 minutes before the performance.

Please carry a valid government issued ID so you can be identified.

For safety reasons, it is prohibited to take the following into the Festspielhaus:

- Bulky items, in particular bags and backpacks of any kind, except for evening handbags,
- Sharp or pointed objects as well as any other objects that are hazardous or can be used as a weapon,
- Cushions,
- Drink bottles and other liquid containers

Please note that there are no storage facilities for them inside the Festspielhaus."

Are there security lines? How strict are they about the cushions? Can you still rent cushions where you check coats?

Thanks,
Nicholas
w***@gmail.com
I was there on opening night but I doubt things have eased up - no cushions of your own or they will be confiscated. I don;t think you can rent them either You cannot drive up to the theatre by your own car or taxi - you can get about half way up the Green Hill and then there are barricades. I did not see anyone being frisked but I heard reports some were. Jay
Mike Scott Rohan
2016-08-18 02:00:39 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
I was there on opening night but I doubt things have eased up - no cushions of your own or they will be confiscated. I don;t think you can rent them either You cannot drive up to the theatre by your own car or taxi - you can get about half way up the Green Hill and then there are barricades. I did not see anyone being frisked but I heard reports some were. Jay
Whew, no fun; my sympathies. As bad as Northern Ireland in the 70s. But maybe Wagner's popular reputation will be some use for a change -- many Islamic zealots might be less ready to strike at somewhere they identify with Hitler, whom they seem to idolize. Making them triply ignorant SOBs.

I think the confiscated cushions would worry me most, having just sat through a Kirov concert Rheingold in the chorus seats -- uncushioned, low-backed wood. Still, it was pretty good, but deafening so close to the orchestra, even somewhat reduced (one harp). And it's the first time I've ever sat close to Erda!

Dogbert Dilbert
2016-08-22 13:18:46 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
[...]

Really? I thought that - like the Force - she was all-encompassing and
all around us.

;-)

Dogbertd
Mike Scott Rohan
2016-08-24 23:51:51 UTC
Post by Dogbert Dilbert
*And it's the first time I've ever sat close to Erda!*
Really? I thought that - like the Force - she was all-encompassing and
all around us.
;-)
Dogbertd
Ah, but then I would previously have been sitting on top of her. Best not to explore the ramifications, IMHO. Her Kirov manifestation was a lot less overwhelming, too -- and a very good singer.

Actually there's considerable doubt whether such a goddess ever existed. Some authorities say there's no reference to her in Norse myth, except possibly the mysterious figure of "Nerthus" recorded in Tacitus' Germania, who is more likely to be have some relationship to the known sea-god Njord.
But I think I may have found another, admittedly very offhand; possible Wagner may have picked it up from Grimm or some other source, and made more of it than it warranted. Or just thought that some such goddess *should* exist -- rather like Robert Graves' "White Goddess", into whose legend he managed to cramp almost every Greek myth.