Conductor Andris Nelsons Out At Bayreuth
A.C. Douglas
2016-06-30 17:51:48 UTC
In an official statement by Peter Emmerich, spokesman for the Bayreuth Festival, conductor Andris Nelsons, Music Director of the Boston Symphony Orchestra, has requested and been granted a "rescission of his contract for this summer's [new] production of Wagner's 'Parsifal'" which is scheduled to open this year's Festival on 25 July.

=== Begin Quote ===
With utmost respect to the Bayreuth Festival's management and staff, director and his team, assistant conductors, cast, orchestra and chorus, Andris Nelsons has asked the festival's management for rescission of his contract for this summer's production of 'Parsifal'. Owing to a differing approach in various matters, the atmosphere at this year's Bayreuth Festival did not develop in a mutually comfortable way for all parties. With regret, the Bayreuth Festival agreed to Andris Nelsons' request.
=== End Quote ===

http://tinyurl.com/hwy3ou8

"Differing approach in various matters"? Gee, I wonder what sort of matters could be responsible for this über-late exit by Nelsons from this new production of _Parsifal_?

ACD
Nicholas G
2016-07-05 21:36:37 UTC
They have found a replacement: -

http://www.welt.de/regionales/bayern/article156842470/Hartmut-Haenchen-dirigiert-Parsifal-in-Bayreuth.html
Mike Scott Rohan
2016-07-07 00:24:31 UTC
Post by Nicholas G
They have found a replacement: -
http://www.welt.de/regionales/bayern/article156842470/Hartmut-Haenchen-dirigiert-Parsifal-in-Bayreuth.html
Haenchen's approach is very scholarly, but his Ring performances haven't convinced me; they tend to sag in the middle of acts. He's certainly nothing like as exciting or charismatic a conductor as Nelsons. Naturally everyone's wondering what Nelsons' problem was. I haven't heard yet -- anyone else?