Armando Iannucci on Wagner
2017-09-23 15:53:47 UTC
This is excellent: an extract from Armando Iannucci's new book about the
joys (and otherwise) of opera.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/sep/22/a-night-at-the-opera-with-armando-iannucci-the-agony-the-ecstasy-the-giant-rotating-antlers

Bert
Mike Scott Rohan
2017-09-26 10:23:04 UTC
This is excellent: an extract from Armando Iannucci's new book about the
joys (and otherwise) of opera.
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/sep/22/a-night-at-the-opera-with-armando-iannucci-the-agony-the-ecstasy-the-giant-rotating-antlers
Bert
Hmm. Thanks for this, Bert. It's pleasant to see some genuine attempt to convey the appeal of opera, and not (especially from this source) simply write it off as elitism. However, it's very clever and amusing, as I'd expect from IA, but in a mannered, self-conscious way. A bit like watching a glossy BBC4 documentary on a subject you know something about --Lucy Worsley on detective stories, say -- and finding it unrelentingly shallow and showy. Ianucci is primarily a political sketch writer, a pretty good one, so I suppose this kind of response is unavoidable; but for this kind of thing I personally prefer Stephen Fry.

2017-09-26 11:14:37 UTC
Mike, I know what you mean but it's refreshing to see genuine enthusiasm and
affection there, even given the (as you say) rather self-conscious writing.
I suspect that these days he feels he has to deliver what's expected, at
least to a certain degree.

Bert
Mike Scott Rohan
2017-09-28 12:06:39 UTC
Mike, I know what you mean but it's refreshing to see genuine enthusiasm and
affection there, even given the (as you say) rather self-conscious writing.
I suspect that these days he feels he has to deliver what's expected, at
least to a certain degree.
Bert
Yes, I was probably in a hyper-critical mood. I liked it better on second reading -- especially the bit likening the effect of a bad production to the blighting presence of a daughter's art-school boyfriend. That struck home. Though I think it reproduce the sensation more accurately if the paint-splattered oaf mugged you as well; or worse.