Maria Callas' Kundry on CD
Add Reply
Nicholas G
2017-07-20 20:24:39 UTC
http://www.warnerclassics.com/release/333,0190295844455/maria-callas-wagner-parsifal

Warner Classics are releasing this in a remastered version as part of their series of Callas live recordings. Has anyone listening to this in an earlier version?

Regards,
Nicholas
Bert Coules
2017-07-20 22:34:09 UTC
Is this the one in Italian with Christoff as Gurnemanz? I have a
reel-to-reel recording of it, source unknown, but it's far too long since I
heard any of it to be able to comment either on the sound quality or the
performance, I'm afraid.
wkasimer
2017-07-24 19:22:02 UTC
Is this the one in Italian with Christoff as Gurnemanz? I have a
reel-to-reel recording of it, source unknown, but it's far too long since I
heard any of it to be able to comment either on the sound quality or the
performance, I'm afraid.
It's been issued a couple of times, but not in quite a while. I had, and may still have the Melodram issue. It sounded OK for a 1950 broadcast. Christoff is excellent, Callas superb.

Be warned that in addition to the linguistic issue, there are cuts, IIRC.
REP
2017-07-20 23:38:42 UTC
Post by Nicholas G
http://www.warnerclassics.com/release/333,0190295844455/maria-callas-wagner-parsifal
Warner Classics are releasing this in a remastered version as part of their series of Callas live recordings. Has anyone listening to this in an earlier version?
Regards,
Nicholas
I haven't heard Callas's Kundry, but speaking of performers in unlikely roles... Jose Cura sang Tannhauser (in French!) this year at Monte Carlo:

I haven't heard enough to judge yet, but I'm reminded of Francisco Araiza's Siegmund, which is surprisingly good if the potato-quality YouTube videos are any way to judge.

2017-07-21 18:07:32 UTC
http://youtu.be/XhBLeZOamJE
I haven't heard enough to judge yet, but I'm reminded of Francisco Araiza's Siegmund, which is surprisingly good if the potato-quality YouTube videos are any way to judge.
REP
Araiza sang a lot in Germany, particularly Munich, where I heard him several times, notably as a pretty heroic Tamino with excellent German. He had definite potential for Wagner, and I believe also did quite well as Lohengrin -- not unlike Gedda, a rather siilar weight of voice.

wkasimer
2017-07-24 19:24:19 UTC
He did sing Stolzing at the Met, and quite a bit of Lieder; his commercial Die Schone Mullerin is one of my favorites - beautifully sung in excellent German.
m***@gmail.com
2017-07-25 02:51:42 UTC
I saw him at Bayreuth as the Steersman in Hollander - lovely voice and handsome man
Mike Scott Rohan
2017-07-21 18:14:21 UTC
Post by Nicholas G
http://www.warnerclassics.com/release/333,0190295844455/maria-callas-wagner-parsifal
Warner Classics are releasing this in a remastered version as part of their series of Callas live recordings. Has anyone listening to this in an earlier version?
Regards,
Nicholas
Yes, I ave it on an early CD release -- can't find it right now to check whose, but the sound isn't at all bad, a decent mono broadcast of that period -- no marvel, very restricted dynamic range and forward voices, but with little enough hiss and fizz. Not what you'd ordinarily choose, but fascinating in its way. Christoff is very impressive, but the Parsifal is somewhat wimpy, conducting more than acceptable.

Callas of course started as a heavyweight (in both senses) Wagnerian, and only turned to bel canto after a vocal and health crisis. She even sange Brunnhilde, and recorded at least one chunk of it.

2017-07-21 20:23:50 UTC
Yes, I ave it on an early CD release -- can't find it right now to check whose, but the sound isn't at all bad, a decent mono broadcast of that period -- no marvel, very restricted dynamic range and forward voices, but with little enough hiss and fizz. Not what you'd ordinarily choose, but fascinating in its way. Christoff is very impressive, but the Parsifal is somewhat wimpy, conducting more than acceptable.
Callas of course started as a heavyweight (in both senses) Wagnerian, and only turned to bel canto after a vocal and health crisis. She even sange Brunnhilde, and recorded at least one chunk of it.
Think I was wrong there, actually. She did sing Brunnhilde, but not sure she recorded any of it. She did, though, record the Liebestod. I haven't heard the Parsifal set for a while, but I remember her as an unusually sweet-toned and seductive Kundry, certainly compared to the average Teuton -- very soprano-toned, naturally, rather than heavy dramatic. The Italian might worry some people, but I didn't find it too bad -- certainly a much more apt translation than the standard Lohengrin one used in recordings like Pertile's. "Nun sei bedankt, mein lieber Schwan" becomes "Merce, Merce, cigno gentile!" which to me at least seems to have all the stresses wrong.

Incidentally, apologies for all the mistypings in previous posts-- just getting used to a new keyboard.

2017-07-22 00:22:04 UTC
She did sing Brünnhilde, but not
sure she recorded any of it.
I've never heard of any recordings, either complete operas or bits and
pieces. You're right about the Liebestod though: well worth a listen.