Glimpse of Goodall....
2016-02-27 19:08:59 UTC
Another minor treasure which some may enjoy -- Reginald Goodall in rehearsal, with Anne Evans and the young (perhaps too young) Philip Joll, though they're marking somewhat. But note the difference in approach to the ENO recordings. This is the Welsh National's Ring, for which Goodall speeded up remarkably, feeling his original tempi were too slow. The result was still pretty measured, but to my mind more balanced, in the performance I caught, and IMHO it sounds so here. Unfortunately he only managed to conduct Walkure. It was still an excellent cycle, but what it might have been...

2016-02-27 21:25:26 UTC
Mike, have you seen the 1984 episode of Omnibus, The Quest For Reginald
Goodall, which that footage comes from? Let me know, if not.

Bert
Herman van der Woude
2016-02-28 09:23:27 UTC
Mike, have you seen the 1984 episode of Omnibus, The Quest For Reginald
Goodall, which that footage comes from? Let me know, if not.
Bert
Bert, it reads as it may be possible that you might have a copy of that
program?
--
Met vriendelijke groet,
Cheers,
Herman van der Woude
Bert Coules
2016-02-28 18:10:39 UTC
Herman, yes I do.

Bert
Herman van der Woude
2016-02-28 23:19:51 UTC
Herman, yes I do.
Bert
Actually, I was not proposing... ;-)

The copy you have, is it on DVD, and would it be too much trouble to
make another copy and send it to me? I am willing to pay for the costs,
of course.
Since I heard the (English sung Ring, The (English sung) Mastersingers,
the (again English sung) Tristan, the official (German sung) Tristan
and Goodall's (German sung) Parsifal, I am one of his fans and I really
do want to know more about him.
--
Met vriendelijke groet,
Cheers,
Herman van der Woude
Mike Scott Rohan
2016-02-29 18:25:03 UTC
Post by Herman van der Woude
Post by Bert Coules
Herman, yes I do.
Bert
Actually, I was not proposing... ;-)
The copy you have, is it on DVD, and would it be too much trouble to
make another copy and send it to me? I am willing to pay for the costs,
of course.
Since I heard the (English sung Ring, The (English sung) Mastersingers,
the (again English sung) Tristan, the official (German sung) Tristan
and Goodall's (German sung) Parsifal, I am one of his fans and I really
do want to know more about him.
--
Met vriendelijke groet,
Cheers,
Herman van der Woude
There's quite a good biography of him around, called "The Genius of Valhalla", which gives a fair account of his career. Unfortunately I should perhaps warn you that knowing more, as I found, may not improve your image of him. He had his unpleasant side -- inclined to imitate Wagner rather too closely, or worse, including flirting with pre-war fascism, part of an uncritical admiration for things German, and post-war anti-semitism, although those I've spoken to who knew him considered this no more than a silly pose; he certainly got on very well with actual Jewish colleagues. He was a particular admirer and friend of Otto Klemperer, not the tolerant or forgiving type at all, but who had Goodall rehearse most of his later recordings. There seems to have been no real harm in him, but one wishes he had had more sense -- not alone there, of course....

2016-02-29 18:27:04 UTC
Mike, have you seen the 1984 episode of Omnibus, The Quest For Reginald
Goodall, which that footage comes from? Let me know, if not.
Bert
No, Bert, I think I was abroad and missed it. I would be mildly interested in seeing it one day, but don't put yourself to any trouble...

2016-02-29 21:30:56 UTC
Mike, Herman, can you handle a download of 474 MB? I can put the show as an
avi file onto Dropbox.

Bert
Herman van der Woude
2016-02-29 21:42:01 UTC
Mike, Herman, can you handle a download of 474 MB? I can put the show as an
avi file onto Dropbox.
Bert
O Bert, that is awfully nice of you!
Problem is, that I have no dropbox...
Could you send the file using the free service of "WeTransfer"?
(www.wetransfer.com)? It is very easy and very convenient. The only
thing you need to know is my e-mail address, which is
hvdwoude*zonnet.nl (The * is to be replaced by the at-sign).
I really, really do appreciate this, thank you so much!
--
Met vriendelijke groet,
Cheers,
Herman van der Woude
Bert Coules
2016-03-01 00:05:04 UTC
Herman,
Post by Herman van der Woude
Could you send the file using the free service of "WeTransfer"?
I'm uploading it now. Please let me know if you download it with no snags.

Bert
Herman van der Woude
2016-03-01 08:54:08 UTC
Herman,
Post by Herman van der Woude
Could you send the file using the free service of "WeTransfer"?
I'm uploading it now. Please let me know if you download it with no snags.
Bert
While you were uploading, I was asleep... (zzz...)
Now that I am awake again, I downloaded it and controlled the states of
the file (th recording). Well, Bert, thank you so much. Later today I
will watch it, and probably transfer it onto a DVD, to keep it!
You just made my day! Thank you once again!
--
Met vriendelijke groet,
Cheers,
Herman van der Woude
Bert Coules
2016-03-01 09:32:24 UTC
Herman, you're more than welcome. I hope you enjoy it: it's a fascinating
programme.

Bert
Herman van der Woude
2016-03-01 13:00:50 UTC
Herman, you're more than welcome. I hope you enjoy it: it's a fascinating
programme.
Bert
It was a brilliant program, Bert, which I shall keep as a memento with
my Goodall CD's.
I think, that I got to know the man a bit more than before. He still
remains a sort of enigma for me, shy and at the same time resolute.
--
Met vriendelijke groet,
Cheers,
Herman van der Woude
Bert Coules
2016-03-01 13:26:18 UTC
Herman, I'm glad you liked it. When I first saw it, I remember being struck
at how withdrawn and reticent Goodall was in the interview sections. But
Humphrey Burton gently perseveres with him and eventually draws him out.

Bert