Bayreuth 2018 on radio
Michel Casse
2018-07-04 17:58:41 UTC
The radio BR-Klassik will broadcast the following operas from Bayreuth on the following schedule :

July 25th, 16:00 (German hour) - Lohengrin
July 30th, 18:00 (German hour) - Fliegende Holländer
July 31st, 16:00 (German hour) - Die Walküre
August 7th, 18:00 (German hour) - Parsifal
August 11th, 18:00 (German hour) - Tristan und Isolde

You can hear them from its website : https://www.br-klassik.de

Michel Casse
REP
2018-07-05 04:12:24 UTC
Post by Michel Casse
July 25th, 16:00 (German hour) - Lohengrin
July 30th, 18:00 (German hour) - Fliegende Holländer
July 31st, 16:00 (German hour) - Die Walküre
August 7th, 18:00 (German hour) - Parsifal
August 11th, 18:00 (German hour) - Tristan und Isolde
You can hear them from its website : https://www.br-klassik.de
Michel Casse
Thank you for the reminder. And what interesting news I find at the BR Klassik website. Apparently Alagna was scheduled to sing Lohengrin, but dropped out and was replaced by Beczala. What bizarro universe is this?

REP
m***@gmail.com
That was announced a few days ago
Mike Scott Rohan
2018-07-25 15:36:43 UTC
Post by REP
Thank you for the reminder. And what interesting news I find at the BR Klassik website. Apparently Alagna was scheduled to sing Lohengrin, but dropped out and was replaced by Beczala. What bizarro universe is this?
REP
K Wagner's, it would seem. With this and the Domingo nonsense, she seems to see Bayreuth as a glitzy celebrity outlet.

2018-07-25 19:40:32 UTC
Post by REP
Thank you for the reminder. And what interesting news I find at the BR Klassik website. Apparently Alagna was scheduled to sing Lohengrin, but dropped out and was replaced by Beczala. What bizarro universe is this?
REP
K Wagner's, it would seem. With this and the Domingo nonsense, she seems to see Bayreuth as a glitzy celebrity outlet.
I don't mind Beczala singing at Bayreuth. My surprise was more due to the fact that I didn't know he was transitioning into Wagner. Alagna, though? I can't even imagine it.

Lohengrin just ended, and I will say that Beczala was quite impressive. The star of the show, even.

The rest of the performers? I don't know. Thielemann surprised me at times, and not necessarily in a good way. His tempi were recklessly fast during the purely orchestral moments, such as the prelude to Act 2 and the transition into Elsa's balcony scene. I wonder if this is a byproduct of increasingly short attention spans, and Thielemann was rushing the tempi on purpose. If that's the case, then I can't say I blame him -- the cello-bass solo that opens Act II can be a bit of a drag -- but it was a shock, nonetheless.

REP
m***@gmail.com
Bit of a drag - it perfectly sums up the machinations of Ortrud and Telramund. Ernest Newman said it called up the impression of something evil uncoiling itself in the darkness.
Mike Scott Rohan
2018-07-26 13:36:53 UTC
Post by REP
I don't mind Beczala singing at Bayreuth. My surprise was more due to the fact that I didn't know he was transitioning into Wagner. Alagna, though? I can't even imagine it.
Beczala is pretty good on the Dresden DVD with Netrebko, though he's rather a stuffed stage presence -- I've seen and heard worse, though. But Alagna doesn't surprise me as much as all that. Lohengrin can be approached from two directions, either as a role for lyrical-sounding heldentenors or as part of a natural transition among maturing lyric tenors, from roles like Rodolfo and Tamino to lyrico-spinto like Faust, Don Jose, and perhaps the Prince in Rusalka, from which Lohengrin isn't such an enormous advance. It's a progression Nicolai Gedda made, for example, with real credit, and Francisco Araiza, with some. Sometimes, of course, it's just that they're no longer worried about damaging a voice that's already degenerating, but it can also reflect a genuine growth in power and the ability to pace such a role. I often wonder if Fritz Wunderlich would have gone that way, if he'd survived.
Post by REP
The rest of the performers? I don't know. Thielemann surprised me at times, and not necessarily in a good way. His tempi were recklessly fast during the purely orchestral moments, such as the prelude to Act 2 and the transition into Elsa's balcony scene. I wonder if this is a byproduct of increasingly short attention spans, and Thielemann was rushing the tempi on purpose. If that's the case, then I can't say I blame him -- the cello-bass solo that opens Act II can be a bit of a drag -- but it was a shock, nonetheless.
I can't agree -- the whole scene is one of the most impressive bits in the work, looking forward to the atmosphere and coloration of works to come. Done properly, the cello line should generate tension and a sense of impending evil -- uncoiling, as Meyers says in the Newman quote. It wouldn't surprise me if Thielmann mucked it up, because I've never thought that much of him anyway. Kempe, for me, does a better job.

m***@gmail.com
2018-07-26 10:23:00 UTC
Beczala was very good just as he was in Dresden two years ago
Michel Casse
2018-07-23 17:29:40 UTC
Post by Michel Casse
July 25th, 16:00 (German hour) - Lohengrin
July 30th, 18:00 (German hour) - Fliegende Holländer
July 31st, 16:00 (German hour) - Die Walküre
August 7th, 18:00 (German hour) - Parsifal
August 11th, 18:00 (German hour) - Tristan und Isolde
You can hear them from its website : https://www.br-klassik.de
Michel Casse
I add the information that BR Klassik will also broadcast :

August 28th, 18:00 (German hour)- Meistersinger.

Michel Casse